Events around the “sixth button” are acquiring more and more new details. Yesterday it became known that the Khimki Court of the Moscow Region declared illegal the actions of the management bodies of the Moscow Independent Broadcasting Corporation CJSC to stop broadcasting on the sixth meter frequency.
A complaint against the actions of the MNVK liquidation commission was filed by TV viewer Rimma Chuksina, and on May 17 the court decided that the termination of MNVK broadcasting on TV-6 channel is illegal and violates the constitutional right of TV viewers to freely receive information.
The court ordered to prohibit the illegal use of “radio frequency resources assigned to the TV-6 channel on the basis of a license and to oblige MNVK to resume broadcasting of TV-6 within three months from the date of this decision.” The court's decision came into force on May 28. As Pavel Chernovalov told a correspondent of the Vremya Novostey newspaper, the court decision is mandatory for execution by all citizens and organizations. He said that MNVK will do everything necessary to implement it. “I think that in the near future, together with the board of directors of MNVK, we will determine measures to implement this decision,” he emphasized.
Mr. Chernovalov already on Wednesday handed over copies of the court decision to the heads of the Sixth Channel CJSC Evgeny Kiselev and Alexander Levin, as well as to the general director of Media Society Oleg Kiselev. “I met with Evgeny Kiselev and Alexander Levin and explained to them the essence of the court decision. So far there has been no response from their side, but I think they need time to think about it,” he emphasized.
As the management of Channel Six told a correspondent of the Vremya Novostei newspaper, the court decision has nothing to do with them. Their company received permission to start broadcasting and a broadcasting license after winning a competition. Management and television journalists are still preparing for the scheduled airing on June 1. Reports that the premises owned by MNVK and used by Channel Six journalists are being sealed have not been confirmed.
The leadership of the Ministry of Press also expressed its attitude towards the court decision. According to Mikhail Lesin, the court decision has nothing to do with his department. “As far as I understand the logic of these actions, MNVK should sue the Ministry of Press. The court must decide whether the Ministry of Press should satisfy MNVK's claims. Then we can consider this issue,” the head of the Ministry of Press emphasized. NTV in anticipation
The decision on renewing the NTV broadcasting license has been postponed to June 3. This was stated yesterday by the head of the Ministry of Press, Mikhail Lesin, speaking at the Federation Council during the “government hour”.
According to him, the question of whether the NTV license will be extended or the frequency will be put up for competition is “difficult, complex, including in legal terms.” “That is why a decision was made on this issue to hold an additional meeting of the Federal Competition Commission on June 3,” he emphasized, noting that the NTV television company has had several official warnings and orders during the past period of activity.
According to the head of the Ministry of Press, now if the TV channel receives any warnings or violates the law, the FCC will definitely consider the feasibility of extending the broadcasting license of the TV company. “We also want to plan that in the future the issuance of warnings and orders will also be discussed at the FCC,” Mr. Lesin said, adding that the practice of extending the license will apply to other TV channels.
The final decision on the NTV issue will be made at a meeting of the FCC under the Ministry of Press by open vote. At the same time, Mikhail Lesin said that the issue has not yet been formally resolved, but the Ministry of Press has already made its decision.