
The leading American information agency Associated Press sued the US Department of Defense, seeking to publish the testimony of suspect terrorists, which are contained at the American military base of Guantanamo (Cuba).
According to the agency, the corresponding lawsuit was filed on Tuesday to the Federal Court of Manhattan (New York).
AR demands from the court to oblige the military department to transfer to him transcripts of the defendants and all other documents that are related to 558 hearings of the military tribunal. The lawsuit indicates that this information "is of undoubted interest to the public."
Based on the AH Freedom Law, AH requested this information back in October last year. However, according to the agency, the Pentagon did not respond to this request and ignored the complaint filed after that, RIA Novosti reports.
In July of last year, the US Supreme Court ruled that the suspects contained on the basis of Guantanamo can appeal their status of "enemy combatants" to the American military tribunals. As a result of the hearings, 38 out of more than 500 prisoners achieved their changes in their status on "neuropian combatants." Publishing precisely these documents and achieves AR.
According to the US Government, about 520 suspects of terrorism from about 40 countries of the world are contained in Guantanamo. Basically, they were captured by US troops during operations in Afghanistan and Pakistan after attacks on September 11, 2001 in New York and Washington.
The American authorities released 232 prisoners of Guantanamo. However, 65 of them are released on the condition that they will serve the sentence for involvement in terrorist activities in the countries whose citizens are.
Lawyers seek the release of 500 hours of video koshmaras who captured what is happening on Guantanamo
As previously reported, there are about 500 hours of video receptions fixing the circumvention of the warders with the prisoners of Guantanamo. Australian lawyer Stephen Kenny, representing the interests of the Australian David Hicks, one of the prisoners of Guantanamo, made a sensational statement at the lawyer conference.
The lawyer is convinced that the films with Guantanamo, which "will produce the effect of an exploding bomb," must be released. According to him, only then the public will be convinced that the situation was no better there than in the sadly glorifying American overseers of the Baghdad prison Abu Graib.
Kenny claims that the American military has at the disposal of the military, on which the actions of the overseers of the quick response forces - the unit responsible for the maintenance of prisoners in Guantanamo are filmed. According to him, presented at the Lawasia Downloader conference, the investigation "reached" on these films quite by accident. The US soldier told about their existence, a certain "specialist Baker", who, after communicating with specialists of quick response forces, was forced to contact the infirmary. According to Kenny, during one of the "training" he was dressed in an orange robe of the prisoner, and the warders were informed that "this prisoner" should be transferred to another camera due to the conflict with one of their colleagues. In the infirmary to the "specialist Baker" was diagnosed with a concussion and numerous traces of beatings throughout the body.
Kenny said that in the issue of breeding the films, he managed to enlist the support of the American human rights organization "Center for Civil Freedoms". According to him, while the government refuses to transfer these films to anyone, referring to the fact that this will be an intervention in "private life".
For the first time, information about the films filled on the basis of Guantanamo became the property of the press in early February. Then the Associated Press agency published excerpts from a report prepared by a group of investigators from the US Southern Command Headquarters in Miami, which includes a military camp on Guantanamo. This report was prepared in June 2004. Military investigators spent more than a week, watching over 20 hours of video films shot in an American prison. The agency also included part of these videos.
The films show how the detachments of the American military overseers from the forces of rapid response use violence in relation to the turbulent prisoners of Guantanamo. The guards, in particular, beat the prisoners, one of the captives was tied to a wagon for interrogation, some of the Americans forced to undress to the waist, the report said. It is especially noted that one of the groups of overseers consisted entirely of women, which, according to investigators, injured the psyche of prisoners.
In the video filmed in Guantanamo cameras, usually groups of five warders, the so -called "quick response groups", appear in the report, the report says. Despite the fact that the report mentions several cases of physical violence against prisoners, the military did not find evidence of systematic bullying of prison prisoners. This is stated in a six -page resume, which dates from June 19, 2004.
However, the “neutral” conclusions of the report are forced to doubt the shocking details of the work of the American military on the basis of Guantanamo. The public’s property was excerpts from the report of a military translator, in which he talks about the methods of conducting interrogation, which was used by women-investigating people suspected of terrorism.
To force the "terrorists" to report the necessary information, the women tried either to "seduce" them or humiliate them. Women-investigating wore causing underwear-panties-dang, walked without a bra and skirt. They touched the interrogated in order to cause excitement. If such methods did not help, then the suspects began to humiliate. In one case, the woman-investigator coated the face of Arab with fake menstrual blood.
These data are confirmed by suspects released from the Guantanamo base. They claim that they were "tortured by prostitutes."
The author of the report, the US Army sergeant Eric Saar, told AP about several cases that he became aware of during work on the base. Saar was a translator in Guantanamo.
During the interrogation of a 21-year-old suspect, the woman investigator began to undress. The interrogation was held late at night. The young man categorically refused to admit his guilt. Then the investigator began to touch his chest and caress himself. Along the way, she mocked the Arab, laughing at his erection. In the end, the young man could not stand it and spat the woman in the face.
One of the women could not make the other suspect speak. Instead of answers, he prayed all the time. The woman asked a local translator how to make her Arab stop turning to Allah for help. The translator advised: "Tell him that you have menstruation, and then turn off his water in the chamber. If he is ritually unclean from communication with a menstruating woman, he will not be able to pray. It is considered a sin with them."
The woman took note of this advice and slightly modified it. “During the interrogation, she began to put her hands in her pants. Then she went around the suspect from behind so that he did not see what she was doing. When the suspect saw the investigator again - her hands were stained with red ink. He thought that she had menstruation, because she had just touched herself there,” Saar says.
After that, she again asked the suspect a question. He refused to answer. “Then the woman wiped the ink on his face. He shouted so that he seemed to be bursting with his lungs. He spit on her, he burst so strongly that he broke one of the leather belts that was tied to a chair. Then he began to cry like a child,” Saar says.
The investigator said that the interrogation was over. “I had fun there in my cell without water,” she shouted after him.
In mid -March, three leaders of the Guantanamo base were removed from the performance of their duties for debauchery. The victims of the last internal investigation of the American military were the chief of the prison - the colonel of the US Army and two lieutenant colonel - the head of the military police unit and the head of the base security service. All of them were charged with adultery. The internal investigation showed that the base commanders were sleeping with women-contractors and a Lieutenant of the Navy.