
Before the presidential election, militants in the North Caucasus can be activated. According to RIA Novosti, President Dmitry Medvedev stated this. He demanded that the FSB suppress possible provocations. “The coming year has enough events. The most important political event of the year is the election of the President of the Russian Federation. It is obvious that this event can be different reactions. It is possible that during the pre -election campaign the gangster underground in the North Caucasus can be activated. Therefore, I demand to increase the efficiency of work in this direction at this period, use all the operational capabilities of the service, all those skills that have been acquired over the past years. It is less important to identify and suppress the possible provocations of extremists, ”Medvedev said at the College of the FSB.
At the same time, Medvedev demanded that the FSB wisely spend the funds allocated to ensure transport safety, since now there are “questions” to this. “Significant funds were allocated. By the way, I looked at how they are spent a few days ago. There are questions, including in terms of a number of technical objects. The expenses should be reasonable. In any case, they should be aimed at suppressing terrorist activity, the very possibility of attacks,” Medvedev said.
On February 3, one of the leaders of the North Caucasian underground Dokarov made a video message in which he ordered not to harm peaceful citizens of Russia, since they protest against Vladimir Putin. "Current events show that the inhabitants of Russia do not support Putin. Therefore, I order all groups that carry out special operations in Russia, do not suffer a civilian population," Umarov said. Umarov’s appeal to the underground was previously informed by the Caucasus Center, recognized by the Russian court with an extremist site.
In December 2011, the presidential envoy in the North Caucasus Federal District, Alexander Khloponin, proposed to introduce the death penalty for terrorists. "For establishing the fact of terrorism, that is, explosions, murders, according to this article, in my opinion, we could talk about the introduction of the death penalty," Khloponin said. According to him, in this case, you can go following the example of Belarus, where only the president can make a decision on pardon in such a case.
In April 2011, Dmitry Medvedev said that the organizers of a series of terrorist attacks in Moscow and Kizlyar would answer their lives for them, despite the fact that a moratorium on the use of the death penalty is in effect in Russia. He added that he is not a supporter of the refusal of higher punishment. According to Medvedev, "some are pointless to re -educate." “You know, the question of the death penalty is a separate topic on which we have our obligations. I can tell you directly: if I worked here in the 90s, the decisions would be different,” the president said.