
The Russian State Museum of the Arctic and Antarctic may lose its premises that it occupies 75 years - the Federal Property Management Agency recognized the right to come the co -religious church to return the museum building.
This was announced by the director of the museum Victor Boyarsky. According to him, the museum does not have alternatives, the building will have to be released. “And all that we were offered in the Federal Property Management Agency is to go to the Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute. In a conference room! Of course, this is impossible, ” the ART-1 website quotes the boyar.
Boyarsky proposed other options for placing the museum-Novo-Admiraltey Island (there are a shipyard where you can overtake the Arctic icebreaker from Murmansk) or the building on the Smolenka embankment, but the city authorities have not yet supported the director’s proposal.
A single -faith church is one of the areas of the Old Believers recognizing the jurisdiction of the Russian Orthodox Church. The parish of a single -faith church was in the St. Nicholas Church in 1827-1931. In 2000, the St. Nicholas Church was transferred to the church. According to Viktor Boyarsky, the community of co -religionists, now consisting of 25 people, will not be able to support the building in normal condition.
In 1933, the Nikolsky temple was leased to the Arctic Institute for the creation of a museum, which opened in the house 24a on Marat Street in 1937. The Museum of the Arctic and Antarctica became an archive and a monument to the heroic efforts of several generations of researchers of polar regions. The creation of the museum expositions was attended by Leningrad artists, many of whom served the military on the northern fronts or were participants and witnesses of dramatic events of the 20th century.
In 1998, the museum of the Russian government was separated from the institute and made an independent state institution - the Russian State Museum of the Arctic and Antarctic . In the same year, he was headed by Victor Boyarsky. Now the museum exposition consists of three sections: “Nature of the Arctic”, “The History of the Research and Mastering of the Northern Sea Way”, “Antarctic”.
The museum several times hosted exhibitions of the festival "Contemporary Art in the traditional museum." In 2006, the artist Andrei Rudyev in the Antarctic Mission promotion installed the Penguins building restored the building on the cornice. A group of citizens then wrote a letter “with a request to take measures to the leadership of the museum, which established a figure of penguins on the dome of the Nikolsky Orthodox Church instead of the Orthodox crosses.”