About us
Collection
For researchers
Subscribe
Our Telegram
Newsletter
About RIMA
For researchers
Collection
Kronika Project
About us
Collection
For researchers
Subscribe
Our Telegram
Date
12/19/2014
Author
Hidden
Source
Meduza
Preserved copy
Internet Archive
Translated material

The FBI has accused North Korean hackers of attacking the Sony film company.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) said North Korean hackers were behind the attack on Sony's computer network.

Assumptions about the involvement in the hacking of hackers from the DPRK were expressed earlier, but so far, law enforcement agencies have not confirmed this information.

The FBI said in a statement that the investigation found that the malware, infrastructure, and technical execution of the Sony network hack shares many common characteristics with previous attacks by North Korean hackers.

At the same time, earlier on December 19, before the publication of the FBI statement, a source in American government circles said that during the investigation it was also established that a “Chinese trace” was also found in the attack by North Korean hackers on Sony. What exactly was the participation of the Chinese side, the source did not specify.

The Chinese Embassy in the United States responded by issuing a statement categorically denying China's involvement in the cyberattack on the film studio.

“The actions of the DPRK were aimed at causing significant damage to American business and hindering the right of US citizens to express themselves. We are deeply concerned about the devastating nature of this attack on the company and the citizens working for it,” the FBI said in a statement.

CNN

  • The computer network of one of the largest film studios in the world, Sony Pictures Entertainment, was hacked in October 2014. The hackers made public the personal data of 47,000 former and current employees of the company, as well as those who worked with Sony Pictures under temporary contracts. In addition, confidential information about the stars who worked with this film studio appeared on the Web.
  • A previously unknown GOP hacker group, the Guardians of Peace, claimed responsibility for the cyberattack on Sony Pictures. However, experts point out that the attack on Sony Pictures is similar to the hacks carried out earlier by North Korean hackers in a number of characteristic ways.
  • Hackers who attacked Sony demanded that the film studio refuse to show the comedy The Interview, which deals with the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. The Interview was scheduled to premiere in the United States on December 25.
  • After hackers began to publish data stolen from Sony, and also threatened to arrange terrorist attacks at the premiere, the largest cinema chains in the United States refused to show The Interview. to CNN from a source in Sony On December 19, it became known that hackers sent a letter to the company's management, in which they stated that they were ready to suspend the publication of the stolen data if the film studio "destroyed all traces" of "The Interview", including removing the trailers of this film from public access. .