
Vladimir Putin, commenting on the arrests of FIFA functionaries recently, regarded them as another “obvious attempt” to extend his jurisdiction to other states. This is reported by Interfax. “It looks at least very strange,” Putin said. “After all, the arrests were made at the request of the American side on charges of corruption. Who? International officials.”
“It can be assumed that one of them violated something,” Putin added. “But certainly the United States has nothing to do with this.”
The purpose of the arrests in FIFA, according to Putin, is to "prevent the re -election of the master (Zepp) of Blatter to the presidency of the Association. “I have no doubt about it at all,” the Russian leader emphasized. He also stated that these arrests "are a gross violation of the principles of the functioning of international organizations."
The night before, the Russian Foreign Ministry made a Russian Foreign Ministry . “Without going into the details of the charges, we draw attention to the fact that there is another case of illegal extraterritorial application of American legislation,” said the official representative of the department, Alexander Lukashevich.
The official also expressed the hope that the US actions "will not be used in any way in order to throw a shadow at the international football organization as a whole and the decisions made by it, including personnel."
Meanwhile, US prosecutor general Loretta Lynch denied the presence of the USA and intentions to influence the choice of countries - housewives of the World Cup. “The decisions about which country to give the right to hold the championship and whether to conduct it, FIFA are adopted, and we cannot influence them and do not strive to do this,” Lynch emphasized.
Earlier on Wednesday, The Guardian reported that in the case of fraud in the election of countries - housewives of the mundials of 2018 and 2022, it is also supposed to interrogate 10 members of the FIFA Executive Committee, including the Minister of Sports of Russia Vitaly Mutko . The official himself said that he did not receive a call for interrogation, but he would testify with pleasure, since he had nothing to hide.
Meanwhile, in the Russian -speaking Twitter, dozens of accounts began to publish posts with identical text: "The West is degrading. The United States wants to take the Russian World Cup from Russia."
The press secretary of FIFA Walter de Gregorio nevertheless stated at a press conference that there would be no new elections. World Championships 2018 and 2022 will be held, as planned, in Russia and Qatar, respectively.
The case that the Federal Department of Justice and the Police of Switzerland has become known earlier on Wednesday . The FIFA headquarters searched with the seizure of documents.
Mutko refused to comment on this message. “So far, nothing is clear to me, there is no new information,” he told R -Sport. Earlier, however, the official hastened to declare that the arrested FIFA functionaries were not related to the application campaign to conduct the 2018 World Cup in Russia.
On the morning of Tuesday in Zurich, three days before the beginning of the FIFA annual FIFA Congress , the Swiss police arrested the six functionaries of the Federation . The arrests took place as part of the US authorities investigation of corruption and bribery in the leadership of FIFA.
According to the media, 14 FIFA functionaries have been charged with corruption over the past 20 years around applications for the world championships, as well as fraud with marketing and broadcasting deals. He includes fraud, racketeering and laundering. The United States requires the extradition of football functionaries.