Actress Anastasia Slonina, who wrote a statement against the artist Pyotr Pavlensky and his associate Oksana Shalygina about sexual assault, in a conversation with Open Russia, recounted her version of the conflict.
Slonina and her ex-boyfriend Vasily Berezin work as actors at the Moscow Theater.doc. between Pavlensky and Berezin In October last year, a conflict arose : the actor was accused of “beating, strangling, spitting in the face and hitting his head on the bathtub” of Slonin, and Pavlensky and Shalygina decided to help her - “to hit her so that he would stop throwing himself fists." Berezin was also forced to apologize “to all women for hating them” and promise “that he will no longer mock and humiliate women.”
“At that time, I saw Pavlensky only a couple of times and didn’t even communicate with him,” Slonina herself commented on those events. “This caused complete bewilderment and shock. And I didn’t ask anyone to beat anyone or to enter into the territory of my personal life. I was on tour at that moment and couldn’t even do anything.”
After this, Berezin wrote a statement about the beating to the police, and, according to Slonina, the police who took over the investigation “began to blame her for everything, threatening that she ‘will have to be punished, since she is the culprit of what happened’.” Then the actress asked Pavlensky to introduce her to his lawyer.
“It was a meeting for about 20 minutes, where I was told that legally this had nothing to do with me, and that’s all. This was about a week after the incident,” she explained. The next meeting with Pavlensky, according to her, took place at his home late in the evening of December 3.
According to friends of Slonina who spoke to Open Russia, she went to Pavlensky and Shalygina in the evening after the performance at their request to discuss a possible criminal case for beating Berezin. “They talked for about an hour, and suddenly Peter found himself in shorts and with a knife, and Slonina miraculously walked away from there,” the publication writes. “The doctors asked me what happened, I told them that I was cut, they wrote down the scene of the incident, no one asked for names,” Slonina herself said.
“I decided that I was very lucky that I came out of there alive. I might not have come out. So I wrote it. Maybe all this will save someone's life. Or it won't break your psyche. Or, at least, it will warn,” she emphasized.
Pavlensky himself, in a conversation with Open Russia, presented a different version of events: he says that the actress “for some reason, for several months persistently sought close contact with us,” and as soon as “contact occurred,” “the next day a statement appears " The artist noted that a month after the incident, the actress came to visit “to spend an evening together,” they “had a close relationship,” and they “said goodbye as friends.”
On January 16, Pyotr Pavlensky said that he left Russia with his colleague Oksana Shalygina and two children after an investigation began into the Teatra.doc actress’s statement of sexual violence. He said they were detained in December by “masked men” who held them for eight hours in the Investigative Committee building, demanding they not leave Russia. The next day they left the country - first they arrived on the territory of Ukraine, and then went to France.