Relatives of residents of Chechnya, who were detained last winter and then disappeared, were forced to write statements that they left for Syria or simply left and did not return home. This is reported by BBC Russian Service.
We are talking about people who, according to Novaya Gazeta , could have been killed in Grozny on the night of January 26. The newspaper article came out on 9 July; the Chechen authorities called it a lie.
The BBC Russian Service contacted the relatives of those whose names were published by Novaya Gazeta. The publication managed to confirm the information about the disappearance of several of them. Family members of the missing said that in December 2016, the police took them from their homes under the pretense of interrogation; they did not see them again.
Some of the publication’s interlocutors, on condition of anonymity, said that relatives of the missing were forced to sign statements explaining their disappearance, including their departure to Syria.
“[The relatives of the missing] were taken away and not released until they signed [statements] that their relatives were taken away, but they do not know who took them. As if they didn’t come from the ROVD [and took it away], no one knows who took it,” one of them is quoted by the BBC.
In a number of cases, security forces demanded documents from relatives of the missing. “I think they just want to take away [documents] so that there is no evidence that he did not leave for Syria,” one of the BBC’s interlocutors said.
Those who turned to the republican department of the Investigative Committee of the Russian Federation were threatened, sources say.
Until now, there is no information about the whereabouts of the 27 missing people that Novaya Gazeta wrote about. The BBC Russian Service was unable to confirm the information about their deaths. However, we managed to make sure that at least several people whose names are on the list of Novaya Gazeta were indeed detained in December last year. The family has not seen them since.