
The total expenses for the deployment of military forces on the US border with Mexico can reach $ 200 million by the end of 2018 and increase significantly if the extension continues next year. This was written by the newspaper Washington Post with reference to the analytical data and figures of the Pentagon.
The specified amount includes the costs of the deployment of the forces of the National Guard, which are on the border since April. The newspaper notes that the number of the military whom the US President Donald Trump sends migrants against the poor countries of Central America against the caravan, comparable to the number of American troops in Afghanistan.
At the same time, the Trump administration previously called on the Pentagon to reduce the military budget by about $ 33 billion in response to the most powerful growth of federal deficit over six years, the publication notes. Veterans and democrats accuse Trump of spending military money for a “politically motivated trick” before the interim elections to the US Congress.
More than a hundred congressmen-democrats expressed their claims in a letter to the country's Minister of Defense James Mattis on November 1, when it became known that the Pentagon would send 15 thousand military to the borders of Mexico.
According to the newspaper, the Pentagon expects that by September 2019, the amount of expenses could reach $ 308 million. The duration of the troops on the border depends on how quickly the problem with the caravan of migrants, which is located a few weeks of the path from the border.
According to AP on Saturday, more than 7 thousand troops received an order to be displayed in Texas, Arizona and California. Among them, the military police, a battalion of assault helicopters, medical and staff units, military engineers, planners and public relations specialists.
The main task of the military directed at the border is to support border patrols. The Pentagon emphasizes that the troops will not arrest people on the border, as they do not have such powers. At the same time, the military will be armed, but mainly for self -defense, notes Ar.
The US Department of Defense explains that they are preparing for the "worst scenario", in which the soldiers in the event of violence by migrants will have to use weapons for self -defense and protection of civilians. In particular, they can be directed to the protection of military engineers who are building barriers in the boundaries not covered by border patrols.
Recall that since the end of October, several thousand migrants from Central America have been heading to the borders of the United States through the territory of Mexico, despite the attempts of the Mexican authorities to stop them. In the caravan - refugees from Guatemala, Salvador and Honduras, who left these states due to poverty and high level of violence.
The US authorities said that the migrants would cross the border, and those who still succeed will be expelled from the country. President Donald Trump said that there are “thugs and gangsters” in the stream of migrants, as well as immigrants from the countries of the Middle East. The fact that among the people going to the border there are criminals was also stated by the US Ministry of Internal Security (MVB).
In response to this, several citizens of Honduras from the caravan of migrants filed a lawsuit against Trump, MVB and Prosecutor General Jeff Sehnsu. The plaintiffs reproach the American leader for inciting hatred and creating the atmosphere of "fear and hysteria" by comparing migrants with criminals and bandits.
Against this background, Trump made another loud statement: he promised to cancel the automatic provision of citizenship to children of foreigners born in the United States. He called it a "crazy policy", which costs the country to billions of dollars annually.