
Ukrainian director Oleg Sentsov, serving a sentence in a colony on Yamal, stopped a hunger strike and began to eat. This was announced by the Commissioner for Human Rights in the Yamal-Nenets Autonomous Okrug Anatoly Sak, Interfax reports .
“According to the latest information, on October 5, Oleg Sentsov officially addressed the head of the White Bear IC, with a statement that he was starting to eat on October 6,” said Sak.
The Ombudsman added that the convict is under the supervision of doctors.
Earlier on Tuesday, Sak said that Sentsov did not stop the hunger strike. “I officially declare to you that no official statement on the termination of a hunger strike from Sentsov was received. He ... is so starving, ”Sak said.
In August 2015, Sentsov was sentenced in Russia to 20 years in a maximum security colony under the articles “Organization of the terrorist community and participation in it”, “Preparation of a terrorist act”, “Preparation for a terrorist act”, “Employment for illegal acquisition of explosives” and “illegal acquisition of explosive devices”.
The director is starving since May 14. It requires the release of all Ukrainian political prisoners who are held in Russia.
On October 5, Sentsov handed a letter through his lawyer Dmitry Dinze, whichexplained that he had to stop the hunger strike, which he held for more than 140 days.
“Due to the critical state of my health, as well as the pathological changes in the internal organs that have begun, in the very near future, the use of forced nutrition is planned to me. My opinion is no longer taken into account, ”he emphasized.